Redecorating? Here are 2022’s Five Color Trends
(Family Features) A new year brings new opportunities to refresh your living space and add new colors into your life. These five trends are all about incorporating more of yourself and your lifestyle into your home, whether it’s answering your need for a serene escape or dialing up the energy with vibrant surroundings.
Bring in Nature
Soothing earthy tones help bring a sense of calm and balance indoors. When designing with nature in mind, use gray-green tones to connect your aesthetic with the serene elements of the outdoors. Incorporate nature’s palette with greens in fabrics, accessories and even on the walls. Wood and stone materials naturally complement these shades for a look that’s cohesively pleasing and peaceful.
If you’re aiming to infuse some sophistication with an update to a favorite space, opt for a monochromatic look in a dark (almost black) hue. The approach is simultaneously bold and classic, but the secret to this trend is finding a shade that’s rich and deep, but not quite black, then complementing it with fabrics and furnishings that let the hint of color shine.
Connect with Your Inner Self
Creating a living space that is uniquely yours requires understanding your inner motivations, traits and talents. One source of personal inspiration may be your zodiac sign, a reflection of the earth’s orientation to the sun on your birthday.
The color experts at Valspar partnered with Ophira and Tali Edut of the AstroTwins to make it easy to explore the intersection of your character and style by explaining which 2022 Color of the Year best aligns with each zodiac sign. When you combine your sign with the convenience and advanced one-coat coverage of premium Valspar Reserve Interior Paint + Primer, available at Lowe’s, you can create a luxurious space that reflects the real you.
- Aries – Sunset Curtains: A warm and soothing color like this supports a transformational year full of new opportunities.
- Taurus – Gilded Linen: This clean, cozy color makes spaces feel open, perfect for celebrating togetherness.
- Gemini – Grey Suit: This is a color of warmth and versatility, a signature combination for Geminis.
- Cancer – Delightful Moon: A spirited, playful color inspires a year of growth and adventure.
- Leo – Mountain River: A dark and dreamy color invites inspiration for a year filled with abundance.
- Virgo – Subtle Peach: It’s the year of partnerships for Virgos; this harmonious color works well alongside others but can also stand on its own.
- Libra – Orchid Ash: A cool and breezy color keeps it simple so Libras can focus on a year of vitality.
- Scorpio – Fired Earth: This warm and approachable color is perfect for Scorpios who plan to bring new people into their lives this year.
- Sagittarius: Rustic Oak: A relaxing and comforting color that welcomes coziness in the new year.
- Capricorn – Blanched Thyme: For Capricorns, this is the year of variety, and this is a refreshing tone to support change.
- Aquarius – Country Charm: This hue provides warmth and stability for a year of productivity.
- Pisces – Lilac Lane: A playful pastel hue that brings softness along with optimism and renewal.
Add Comfort and Warmth
Treating your home like a sanctuary never goes out of style, and one way to create a soothing, inviting space is through the use of cozy neutrals. Whether it’s applied to a bedroom retreat or a more bustling space like the living room, a neutral palette can add to the allure of comfort and warmth. Keep the visual interest strong by incorporating subtle patterns, textures and layers of complementary neutral colors.
It may seem counterintuitive, but vibrant retro shades like orange and yellow, and even warmer neutrals, can help establish a calming vibe within your home. The throwback hues can help your mind connect to moments from the past when life may have been filled with less challenges. This trend with colors like Valspar’s Delightful Moon, Subtle Peach and Sunset Curtains is less about the actual look and more about the mood it evokes for you personally, so if a retro scene takes you to a happy place, this may be the right choice for your home.
Find more 2022 color trends and design inspiration at Valspar.com.
Brush on the Color
Using quality brushes can provide you with a smooth, professional finish, but depending on the surface you’re painting, different sizes and types of brushes can help you achieve the desired look.
Achieving ultra-clean edges and a smooth finish is the goal for DIY painting. Perfect for interior use with latex paints and stains, the Valspar Wall and Trim 3-Brush Multi-Pack is a convenient option that includes flat and angled brushes in multiple sizes. Those hard-to-reach corners may be tricky, but a proper angled brush can make all the difference.