The Challenges of Dating as a Solo Parent
Colleen wrote in:
“Being a solo parent certainly poses challenges along with other variables. At present, I am employed full-time and have full custody of my three children (my son (12) and two daughters (10, 8)). They have one daytime visit with their father every other Saturday. He has no overnights. Additionally, for the past year due to COVID, we’ve all been home social distancing with the children in remote school and me working from home. Often I say, “my time is not my own.” Lack of hands-on support from people I trust is one of my biggest needs and challenges. While I feel I am ready for a loving, stable, family-based relationship, finding the time and space to meet quality men, get to know one another and then work on relationship progression has been tricky and frustrating at times. My free time is limited. While there is more to share, hopefully this provides more of a context.”Colleen, single mother of 3
As you can see, dating as a solo parent is challenging during ‘normal’ times. But, during the pandemic, with the kids at home and full time work. how does Colleen date and develop a relationship?
The coaching took a number of surprising twists and turns. We didn’t even talk about dating until we were way into the conversation, but it was necessary to create the space Colleen needed to make room for a man in her life.
In this episode of Last First Date Radio, I coach Colleen on how to deal with the struggles she faces as a solo parent who wants to date. Whether you’re a solo parent, or you’re overwhelmed with a very busy life for other reasons, you’ll gain value from this show.
- How to gain more balance when you’re overworked
- How to create more time for dating as a solo parent by delegating, deleting what’s not necessary, and asking for more support
- The importance of dreaming bigger about life and love
- Small steps you can take to identify your dreams
- How to identify your TRUE must have list
- How to ask the right people in the right way for the support you need
- How to assure men that dating is a priority even though you’re a solo parent who’s very busy