SLOW COOKER MOROCCAN CHICKEN STEW
Recipe courtesy Hunts Tomato Sauce
This wonderful moroccan stew features tender chicken thighs flavored with a fragrant spice paste and made in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes and dried fruit.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew Print This Post
Serves 6 | Prep Time 30 minutes | Slow Cooker Time 5-6 Hours on Low
- PAM® Organic Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1-1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 can (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup halved green olives
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Flatbread for serving, optional
- STEP ONE Spray inside of 4.5-quart slow cooker and large skillet with cooking spray.
- STEP TWO In a small bowl,stir together oil, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, black pepper, salt and cayenne. In a medium bowl, rub half of the spice paste over the chicken until evenly coated. Set aside.
- STEP THREE Heat skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on top of carrots and potatoes. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add ginger and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Put in the slow cooker and top with dried apricots, raisins and olives.
- STEP FOUR Stir together chicken broth and flour. Add broth, tomato paste, lemon juice and the remaining spice paste to the skillet and whisk to scrape up browned bits. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables in slow cooker.
- STEP FIVE Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is tender and cooked through. Top with parsley and serve with warm flatbread.
483 calories, 54g Carbs