Pies for Dinner – Savory Galettes
Savory Zucchini Galette
PREP 15 mins. |BAKE 30 mins. to 40 mins.
TOTAL 2 hrs 5 mins.
YIELD one 8″ to 10″ galette
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Pastry Flour or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Vermont cheese powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4″-thick disks
- 2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning, or other dried herb and spice blend, divided
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (grated lemon rind), optional
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Egg wash
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- To make the crust: Whisk together the dry ingredients. Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Drizzle in 5 tablespoons of water, stirring gently until everything is evenly moistened; add the final tablespoon of water if necessary to make a cohesive dough.
- Pat the dough into a disk, wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Place the zucchini slices on one pan and sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning.
- Place the tomato halves on the second pan and sprinkle with the remaining pizza seasoning.
- Roast the zucchini and tomatoes until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes for the zucchini and 10 to 15 minutes for the tomatoes.
- Remove the zucchini and tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the ricotta, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and egg until evenly blended. Set aside.
To assemble the galette:
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12″ circle. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the dough, leaving a 2″-wide bare strip along the perimeter.
- Sprinkle half the Parmesan over the ricotta, then shingle the zucchini slices over the cheese and scatter the tomato halves on top.
- Fold the bare edges of the dough into the center.
- Brush the exposed edges of the crust with egg wash, and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the whole galette.
- Bake the galette for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the galette from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.